Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TVs compatible, from one continent to the next??

I doubt that any American member of this group has adjusted
the Hue control on their NTSC set for at least 30 years.

True. US receivers use the VIR (Vertical Interval Reference) on line
20 for chroma phase correction to automagically correct both static
and differential phase errors. I think this started in about 1980.

??? How can the reference signal correct a differential phase error?

** So ****ing what ??????????????????
NTSC color started in the USA in the early 1950s.
The famous irreverent NTSC acronym way predates 1980.
You stupid, ****ing ****head.

The point being that the problems with NTSC had nothing to do with the
design of the system, but the failure of the networks to establish high
standards of image and signal quality. As these were gradually put into
place, the supposed "inherent problems" with NTSC gradually disappeared.
This WAS NOT due to the use of VIR on consumer receivers. VIR was primarily
to catch and correct problems along the signal chain.

The lie that PAL is somehow inherently superior to NTSC refuses to die. NTSC
is the "better" system. Period.