Scott Post

Default Plane angle

In article ,
Eric Anderson wrote:
Just got a Lee Valley low angle block plane. Very nice plane. I am
curious, however, if anyone has tried various angles other than the
standard blade angles. I think Steve Knight has tested some
non-standard angles. I wonder what he has found about the performance
and characteristics of non-standard angles. Anyone else ever tested
what a standard block plane can do that a low angle block plane cannot
do?

I keep two low angled block planes on the bench. One is ground at 25
degrees, giving it an effective angle of 37 degrees for cutting end
grain. It's also easier to push than one with a higher angle so I use
it for cooperative straight grain. The other is ground at 38 degrees,
giving a 50 degree angle which is nice for getting to small areas of
squirrelly grain the smoother can't reach.

You could buy an extra iron and experiment.

--
Scott Post http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/