Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Repairing scratched eyeglasses

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 13:43:48 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

?
"notbob" wrote
If your lenses are the only problem, you should be able to replace
them fairly cheaply, as the real $$$ is in the frames. If your
optomitrists neglected to point out this fact, you need to find
another one. If you have plastic lenses, it's your only option, as
they cannot be repaired. I've always opted for tempered safety glass
lenses, which will take years of surface abuse with little effect.
I've only had one pair of plastic lenses. Never again.

You won't ever catch me in glass lenses. Your statement may be correct for
you, but for many of us, plastic is quite a big step forward for comfort. I
wear a high index as they are even lighter in my prescription. If they were
glass, I'd need a chin prop to hold my head up with the extra weight.

Don't forget that broken glass in the eye isn't fun.

High index (of refraction) lenses are obviously lighter than the alternatives
but they also have nasty chromatic aberration. I assume you're very
near-sighted.

As for price, some are cheap, but if you have or need some of the options,
lenses get very expensive. Frames though, are very overpriced. Sometimes
you get lucky and my last frame was $15.

It's more where you buy them than what you buy. My OD charges $75 for
anti-glare coatings, where some charge $10 for exactly the same thing.

Once in my life did I put a serious scratch in a lens. I was 10 years old
and was home from getting my new glasses for about an hour. Someone tossed
something at me and it hit the lens and put a scratch right down the center.

I put a pretty good ding in my other pair, when I was putting up the Christmas
lights this year. A 15' fall into the rocks below did a real number on them.
Oh, well. I'm due for new lenses in a month or two.