Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy[_2_] Timothy Murphy[_2_] is offline

Default DIY ADSL connection?

jim wrote:

On Jan 8, 1:22 am, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to connect the phone/ADSL splitter in my house
to a desktop computer by a long (10 metres) telephone wire.

So you only require ordinary telephone cable to extend the phone
system (with or without ADSL) within your house.

Thanks for your interesting and useful response.
My experience is that you are completely right;
my ADSL worked perfectly for 2 years with the wire going
out of one window and into another.

The ADSL connection has gone bad now,
and disconnects roughly once an hour.

I've checked everything that could possibly cause a problem
inside the house - I moved the modem to the telephone inlet,
swapped the modem, using a short RJ12 cable to connect it
to a new splitter/microfilter.

What is annoying, and very inconvenient,
is that the modem only re-connects
when it is switched off and on again.
This means someone has to be in the house.
I was using it to connect from Ireland to Italy
and was planning to use it to carry out some simple tasks.

It seems to me that a modem should be able to re-connect
without external help;
I wonder if there are ADSL modems around that do this?
I'm not sure of the make of the Telecom Italia modem;
it doesn't seem to have any indication on the box.

Unfortunately, I am discovering that Telecom Italia
is famous for doing nothing for a very long time -
I have had messages from several people saying
they have had similar ADSL problems which continued
for months if not years.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net