Posted to alt.home.repair

Default basement, gas furnace/water heater question.. dont have anyventilation..need to have some fresh air

On Jan 9, 4:01*am, harry wrote:
On Jan 8, 1:53*pm, wrote:

On Jan 8, 8:20*am, harry wrote:

On Jan 7, 2:01*pm, wrote:

On Jan 7, 3:19*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 1/7/2011 1:22 AM, harry wrote:

On Jan 7, 3:50 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 1/6/2011 9:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

?
*wrote

We don't have "furnaces" that need to bring cold air into the house.
It defeats the purpose.

No, it saves energy. You use the cold air for combustion only.. You suck
it in, burn it, pass the exhaust gasses out. Meantime, you heat the heat
exchanger and only inside air is recirculated. Why would you want to
burn the air you just paid to heat?

Newer burners are made to connect to outside air. In the case of the OP,
he is going to vent into the room with the burner, a less efficient
method. It saves sucking the heated air from the rest of the house and
burning it, but is not as good a a seal system.

Some have coaxial venting where the inner pipe is the exhaust and outer
pipe is the intake. The incoming air is warmed by the exhaust and helps
efficiency. An example:

http://www.crownboiler.com/products/res_oil/free_o.asp

http://www.mendotahearth.com/mendota...e-faqs.php#q18

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Oh, finally getting into the twentieth century then? *Heh Heh! *I
looked at some heating systems when I was over there. *They were in
new houses but with technology we abandoned fifty years ago. Took me
back to the days of my youth. *A bit like American cars.

Once again, the village idiot shows his ignorance. *As I'm sure most
of you who
actually live here can verify, * I see new construction here
in the US that typically is using 90%+ efficiency furnaces, especially
in colder
climates. * The cost difference between that and an 80% furnace just
isn't that
great and it's a key selling feature for new homes.

What exactly did you see in new construction that was technology that
the British
abandoned 50 years ago, which would be 1960?

The standard of insulation was pretty appalling too, especially for a
climate where *minus 20 or 30 is usual.

Those temps are not the norms where 90% of the population of the US
lives.
Once again, the village idiot exposes his total ignorance.

High temperatures in Summer
too.
You are an extremely traditional lot over there.

You get the advanced stuff by paying more. Remember, fuel was very cheap
here at one time when energy was very expensive and heavily taxed over
in Europe. My 67 Renault had an 1108cc engine when a compact American
car of the time may have had a 5000cc engine made of heavy cast iron.
As energy becomes more expensive in The U.S., we will see more and more
high tech advanced energy efficient equipment. It's a cost benefit
thing. :-)

As if American consumers are limited to only buying American made
cars. *Or that
American made cars get radically different mileage compared to similar
cars from say Japan or
Germany.

And if the British are so damned smart when it comes to building cars,
why is it that
today they have a worldwide market share that amounts to a nit?- Hide quoted text -

I 'm saying technology only now being embraced in the USA has been
current in Europe for half a century.

What you said was that you were in the USA and saw furnaces being
installed in new
construction that were of design technology that the UK abandoned 50
years ago, ie 1960.
Still waiting for the simple explanation of what exactly you saw, but
obviousy the village
idiot can't provide it, because once again you're caught full of BS.

As for the car industry, it was almost destroyed by f***g Yanks buying
our companies and leading them to destruction.

Amazing how you can blame everything on the USA. * As I recall, while
some American
car manufacturers did buy some British car companies, it was only
after the British
govt had become heavily involved in onwership and stewardship of the
British auto
industry and run it into the ground. *That level of stupidy the US
govt is only now approaching.

Where is the US car industry today? Living on taxpayer's money. Who
wants American cars?
Hundreds of *thousand of cars are still built here in the UK.

Yeah, and the USA builds over 4 MILLION a year. * You little **** ants
hardly
even register in world market share. * If the
British had such superior technology, while the USA sucks, the
numbers would be reversed?

Now run along and play in traffic.- Hide quoted text -

Yes you're behind us in most things.. Government Motors? *We abandoned
that idea forty years ago.;-)

For the size and population of the country that we build a lot more.

Last time I checked, the size and population of a country doesn't have
much of a correleation to it's export capabilities. Look at places
like
Taiwan, that achieved huge worldwide exports in all kinds of markets
from handgoods to semiconductors.

How many people and how many acres do you think it takes to build
an auto plant? Hmmm? Facts are simple. If the UK was so superior
as you claim, you'd be a major player with huge market share in autos.
Instead, you're a nit, yet you have the nerve to hurl insults at the
USA.

We export cars.
World market? Don't make me laugh. WTF wants American cars? No-one.
Even Americans won't buy them any more, the most ugly primitive cars
in the world. Even the Russians make prettier cars! *You'll need to
get some Europeans to design you some. Or Japanese. Oh, that's already
so.

Apparently a lot of people do, because we build 4mil+ a year. How
many
does Britain build, with all it's supposedly advanced technology?
Oh, and
speaking of advanced technology, how's it going in the high tech world
of
semiconductors and computers for you guys? Hmmm? You do have one
major semiconductor plant that I know of, but it's in Ireland, thanks
to US based Intel,
who built and own it. Got any Microsofts, Ciscos, Apples, etc over
there?
How's that going for you? Even places like Taiwan, with it's small
size, kicked
your asses. They have huge semiconductor fabs and high tech
manufacturing
located there. South Korea buried you too.

So go stick your head in your high efficiency UK furnace and turn the
gas on for
us, OK?