Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
skeez skeez is offline

Default luger display box for grandads war trophy

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 06:10:26 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"skeez" wrote
Looks like a .125" blade. Do you buy 1/8" material for the splines or do
you
roll your own?

I roll em! I almost never buy presized or prefinished wood. I can get
s3s locally but I find it isn't s3s..... I prefer to do my own
milling.

Need a little more info skeez. Tablesaw or bandsaw and then thickness planer
or am I being too grandiose in my thinking? Perhaps something as simple as
hand planing a piece of wood to thickness?

I've never used splines for anything so I'm a little at a loss here. Of
course, I know exactly what they are, just never chose to use any. Perhaps I
need to dress up my creations a bit.

Splines are cut on the tablesaw with a jig then run through the drum
sander if needed.The slots were cut on the tablesaw too with a jig. [a
sled that rides both miter slots. Gluing miters [endgrain] isn't all
that good for joinery. The splines give some face to face gluing and
strengthen the box a bit as well as add window dressing.

skeez