Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TVs compatible, from one continent to the next??

In article ,
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Those rates were chosen because the studio lights were arc lights and
flashed on and off at the power line rate, so the TV cameras had to be
syncronized to them or you would get moving black stripes across the
screen.

Don't arc lights work on DC?

But I don't think that's correct. For it to work, TV would have to be
mains locked. It was in the very early days, but later was pulse generator
locked with no direct reference to mains other than being nominally the
same frequency. Mains lock was really just to make receiver design simpler.

The only type of light I've seen which gives problems flicker wise on a TV
camera is fluorescent. Before high frequency ballasts became available,
the work round was to use them in groups of three - from different phases.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.