Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Palm sander or random orbital?

-MIKE- wrote in
:

I am completely in that camp and it was reinforced this very week.
I had a bunch of leftover paper, some from a big box and some from
Harbor Freight.
The HF stuff practically fills up and clogs in one pass. Even the big
box stuff I bought in sheets a while back seems to take longer to
fill, but still clogs and I need to vac it out or toss it because it
just doesn't cut any more.

When I get the premium stuff, it just seems cut better and last
longer.
It will fill up, but then keep cutting and push the cut dust out of
the
way. I get at least 30:1 life over the HF stuff and probably 5:1 over
the regular big box stuff.

I think sandpaper technology has improved even in the past few years,
as I notice much better performance from the premium paper I recently
bought.

I agree that sand paper is getting better. The difference between the
included 220 grit Mouse sand paper (about 10 years old) and the 220 grit
3M purple paper was dramatic. I had to change the included paper about
once per side of a book shelf, and just about finished the rest with a
single sheet of the 3M. I haven't tried the Norton yet.

I need to get some sandpaper for my new sander. The Lowes Gator paper
isn't worth taking it off the shelf. Time to put another sheet on the
sander... To be honest, I wasn't impressed with the included sheet of
Bosch paper either.

Puckdropper