Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Palm sander or random orbital?

On 1/8/11 9:17 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 8, 9:51 pm, wrote:
The more I do this, the more I find I prefer things that help me do
more work more efficiently, once I am working. To each his own.

I don't know how many times I have done the math but expensive
sandpaper is cheaper than cheap stuff.G So is the method of
attaching the paper. Time is money. ...and 20 bucks worth of paper on
a 3000 dollar countertop is totally and completely meaningless.

I am completely in that camp and it was reinforced this very week.
I had a bunch of leftover paper, some from a big box and some from
Harbor Freight.
The HF stuff practically fills up and clogs in one pass. Even the big
box stuff I bought in sheets a while back seems to take longer to fill,
but still clogs and I need to vac it out or toss it because it just
doesn't cut any more.

When I get the premium stuff, it just seems cut better and last longer.
It will fill up, but then keep cutting and push the cut dust out of the
way. I get at least 30:1 life over the HF stuff and probably 5:1 over
the regular big box stuff.

I think sandpaper technology has improved even in the past few years, as
I notice much better performance from the premium paper I recently bought.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--