Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Palm sander or random orbital?

On 1/8/11 6:57 PM, CW wrote:
Yes. They need to develop a Velcro attaching system for palm sanders.

Thank you for following along. :-)

I wouldn't buy it. My palm sander has the wire paper retainers and it takes
me less than 30 seconds to change paper. The advantages are that paper is
cheaper, reduced paper inventory as the sheets can be used for multiple
things and better variety of available paper.

Takes me less than two to change the velcro sheets.
When I'm in that zone, like a machine, it's frustrating to have to take
even 30 seconds to change one out. I'm impressed that you can cut those
sheets and punch out the dust port holes in that time, too. :-)

The better variety argument doesn't stand as you can find those disks on
the internet at any grit you'd need. And I'm not concerned with reduced
inventory nor price. Even expensive sandpaper isn't, in the big picture.
But that's not and issue given said websites.

The more I do this, the more I find I prefer things that help me do more
work more efficiently, once I am working. To each his own.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--