Posted to alt.home.repair
cubby cubby is offline

Default Whole house humidifier

I had some hardwood flooring delivered yesterday, and I noticed on the
box it calls for 72 hours for the wood to adjust to the environment,
and humidity in the 40-55 range. It suddenly occurred to me that I
hadn't checked the humidity setting on the stat (had meant to do it
when I changed the pad, but something shiny...). It's an Aprilaire
humidifier attached to the return air duct at the furnace, no air
exchanger or such like, and the house is finally pretty well sealed.
Of course, I had forgotten it and it was essentially off, with a
humidity reading on the stat of 22. (no wonder the kids are suffering
with dry skin issues). So I whacked it up to 50. Roughly 24 hours
later, it has crept up to 29. Does it make sense that it is taking so
long? The house is about 5000 sf, so I guess could take a while, but
I expected quicker than this. I checked the pad, and the water is
filtering through fine. I'm in MN by the way, so very cold and dry.

TIA
Cub