Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] news@jecarter.us is offline

Default Recharging li-on batteries

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 20:31:59 -0800 (PST), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

I just was given two 36 volt Dewalt drill batteries that would not
take a charge. I opened them up and found what looks like the charger
unit built right into the battery pack. These batteries are about the
size of C batteries but a little bigger. They measure about 3.2 volts
apiece. I know that these are li-on cells because there are 8 monitor
wires going into the charger unit. One pack has one bad battery and
the other has several bad ones. I also have a set of these type of
batteries that came out of a laptop. The shame of it is I really can't
do anything with any of these good cells because I have no way to
recharge any of these. Does anyone know of a generic charger for li-on
cells or some way that I can recharge these? Thanks, Lenny

You can build a single-cell charger for under $20. SparkFun has the
basic Li-Ion/LiPoly charger unit for $10 and you can power it froma
USB port on your computer or one of the plug-in USB power packs (~$5).
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10217

John