Posted to rec.woodworking
CW[_6_] CW[_6_] is offline

Default Palm sander or random orbital?

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 1/8/11 5:18 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

On 1/7/11 11:17 PM, Father Haskell wrote:
Palm sanders aren't limited to the few grits available in
hook and loop discs. Anything is available for quarter
sheet sanders, up to and beyond 2000 grit. 320 is the
finest I've seen for ROS.

Which brings up the question... why don't they have a Velcro version or
attachment for ROS? I looked at Lowes and HD yesterday and every palm
sander still has that horrible metal wire spring/clip system to attach
the paper. The same mechanism that my 20 year old Skil has.

Are you kidding me? This is the best they can come up with. It is THE
MOST horribly awkward and inconvenient way to attach and remove
sandpaper.

I'd rather find an internet source for Velcro disks than deal with that
horrible mechanism.

Don't you mean for a palm sander? Every ROS I have seen in the past 10
years or so has a velcro base.

Yes. They need to develop a Velcro attaching system for palm sanders.

Thank you for following along. :-)

I wouldn't buy it. My palm sander has the wire paper retainers and it takes
me less than 30 seconds to change paper. The advantages are that paper is
cheaper, reduced paper inventory as the sheets can be used for multiple
things and better variety of available paper.