Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Palm sander or random orbital?

In article e47794ad-0560-4691-884d-2905050aead3
@g25g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jan 3, 12:22*pm, WayneJ wrote:
Hi all,

I need to buy a new sander, primarily for finishing. I was set to go get a *
palm sander, but a couple of friends are telling me I should get a random *
orbital instead. They claim that they can be just as good for finish work *
and better for coarser things. I question whether they are really as good *
for finish sanding, and I already have a straight disk sander for rough *
work.

I need to keep the cost reasonable, but I don't want to buy junk either. *
I'm looking at brands like Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, etc. the money for *
brands like Festool isn't there. I think a 1/4 sheet palm sander or 5 inch *
random orbital sander, is what I'm looking at.

Does anybody have thoughts on this, and any recommendations in the price *
range I'm limited to?

Thanks,
WayneJ

--

Palm sanders aren't limited to the few grits available in
hook and loop discs. Anything is available for quarter

Klingspor has 'em up to 1500, Mirka to 4000, Micro-Mesh to 12,000. If
you need more than 12,000 then it's time to slap on a foam pad and break
out the polishing compound.

Fast way to a flawless, ready to finish surface with a palm
sander is to go up to 320, then finish by hand, straight strokes,
with 220 to remove the swirl marks.