Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Cool Joe Cool is offline

Default build a bridge to build a bridge.....

On Jan 7, 5:13*pm, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 1/7/2011 6:28 AM, Randy wrote:

Seems like the old way is better.

Well as per the video, the suspension bridge is self anchored, not
anchored to shore. Maybe that has something to do with seismic issues,
designing to survive "the Big One"...

I almost always take the Benicia-Martinez that crosses the Carquinez
Straight when returning from the SF Bay Area. It's also being replaced
and I've seen that crane fairly close as I drove past. It is MASSIVE!

Jon

Technically that new bridge is NOT a suspension bridge, but a cable-
stayed bridge.

As far as I can tell from the video there are no suspension cable
catenary; all cables from the towers go directly to the road deck.
Hence cable-stayed. There are quite a few bridges of this type in the
USA and the world.

Wolfgang