John Rumm

Default Loft conversion joists

Christian McArdle wrote:

Timber will cost you as much in all likelihood. The floor joists cost me
something in the order of 500 quid for the wood, and 400 for the flitch
plates (I used four) plus all the hangers, bolts, dogs etc. Having said
that I saved on the cost of a crane!

Bloody hell. I though the wood would be a fraction of that. I never bothered

In fact having just looked back at my running total spreadsheet, it was
less. My first order for wood was about 350. That also included the roof
joists for the dormer, and some 4x2 for studwork. Hence the floor beams
may only have been 200 of that. If you need to use C24 that also puts
theprice up a bit, and in our case meant it took about a week to get it
all ordered and delivered. C16 could have been done from stock probably.

The steel for the flitch plates was not that expensive - probably about
200 ish (and that included drilling and painting with a passivated
finish). The expensive things were all the little bits like shoes,
hangers, bolts, dogs etc. They added another 250.

--
Cheers,

John.