Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andrew Rossmann Andrew Rossmann is offline

Default TVs compatible, from one continent to the next??

In article , NOPSAMmm2005
@bigfoot.com says...

For 60 years, USA tv signals and European ones, etc. were not
compatible.

Did they make digital tvs compatible from the US to Europe to Asia to
Australia, etc?

I think they should have. If not, is it only the 50 versus 60
vertical scan rate that was the problem?

I don't think I've read anything about this.

It wasn't just a 60Hz/50Hz scanrate issue. NTSC is 525 lines (480 of
picture), versus 625 lines (576 picture) for PAL. They also use
different methods of modulating the color in the signal. SECAM is
similar to PAL, but the color was different yet again.

It depends a bit on how you will view the signals. The basic HD formats
(720p, 1080i) seem to be the same everywhere, so connecting an HD
receiver (satellite or cable or similar) or something like BluRay or
upconverting DVD would be somewhat universal.

Many electronics these days have universal power supplies, and can
handle 110-220V@50-60Hz.

The hard part is if you want to use an antenna. Frequencies and even the
way the digital signal is modulated will vary from country to country,
not to mention the differneces in SD format.

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross