Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mental resilience

On 2011-01-06, Snag wrote:

[ ... ]

Training can also play an important part of how we react . If your
first reaction to hearing shots is to take cover , determine source
and , decide whether to return fire - that's training . If you fall
to the ground blubbering in fear ...

Of course, if you don't *have* the means for returning fire,
just taking cover may help.

And -- if there is no cover (flat terrain) and there are other
people (targets) around, falling flat may suggest that you have
already been hit, and that others are beter targets. :-)

The blugbering, of course, does no good. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

All good points !

I dunno , the way our world is changing I'm becoming more and more into
the survivalist mindset . And giving thought to who I want around me if/when
a collapse occurs . And I've come to realize just how much we depend on the
utility infrastructure . Cut off the gas and 'lectrons , and lots of people
ain't gonna know what to do .

As a one time child of Unca Sam, and a street cop..and a survivalist for
35 yrs...its not a bad life safety art to be learned..and one keeps on
learning until life goes away.

There are two mindsets among survivalists..the "loner" and the "crew".

The loner believes that he/she will survive bad stuff better if he is
alone, able to hide better, skulk around, sneak in and out..then does a
crowd. And there certainly is some truth to that. And its a good
technique that really should be learned for lifes little emergencies of
shor duration.

But as I get older..Ive found that "crew" is better for most things
other than sneak and peek military tasks.

You gotta sleep sometime..best to have someone standing watch while you
are snotted off. Someone to stitch up a wound, put bug spray on your
back and help do the laundry.

Which is why the smallest norma military formation is a squad..up to 12
people all able to watch each others backs, and do tasks in tandum. If
only one person can read a compass..and he gets hurt..suddenly yall are
lost.

Ancient family/clan groups found this out thousands of years ago. 12 can
sneak around nearly as well as 1..and there is far greater safety in
numbers than going it alone, and so forth.

However...you cant simply pull 12 off the street of Belaire California
and expect to have a team, yet you might very well do that in Alpine
Texas and have it run sucessfully.

What I and MOST survivalists do..is plan on a group of up to 25 or so.
Everyone learns 2 basic skills above personal survival..and works, plays
and trains together as often as possible.

I believe that the least number of able bodied souls that will work
good as a team is 5...under no combat situations. 2-3 in task specific
functions.

Id be happy to expound on request..shrug..but I believe that you
understand what Im roughing out.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein