Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default DIY ADSL connection?

In article , Timothy Murphy
writes
I want to connect the phone/ADSL splitter in my house
to a desktop computer by a long (10 metres) telephone wire.
This has to go out of the house and back again,
so I have to drill 2 holes in window-frames.

I'd like to keep the holes as small as possible,
so I am wondering if I can cut the telephone wire, and re-join it,
either just by binding each of the 4 wires together,
or by soldering them.
Would this give a good enough connection for ADSL?

The alternative is to drill 12mm holes to allow the RJ-11 (or RJ-12)
connector through.

I know I could get a crimper to do this,
but I have to do it this weekend,
and don't have access to any sophisticated electronic store.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

You really want to be using external telephone cable for the outside
leg:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...nal/index.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/32bj5da

but you may be able to get that locally.

These are ideal for joints (inside):
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPJB1.html

They use a special tool for punching wires in (cheap one use tools are
avail, don't try to bodge with a screwdriver) but screw terminal
versions are avail.

Round twisted pair telephone cable is fine, that is the same stuff that
is used from the exchange so it is fine for ADSL, whether filtered off
or combined with voice.
--
fred