Posted to uk.d-i-y
John MacLeod John MacLeod is offline

Default DIY ADSL connection?

On Jan 8, 1:22*am, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to connect the phone/ADSL splitter in my house
to a desktop computer by a long (10 metres) telephone wire.
This has to go out of the house and back again,
so I have to drill 2 holes in window-frames.

I'd like to keep the holes as small as possible,
so I am wondering if I can cut the telephone wire, and re-join it,
either just by binding each of the 4 wires together,
or by soldering them.

Yes, but if you're going that route use a proper telephone junction
box for the join.

Would this give a good enough connection for ADSL?

Yes, if done properly, but you should really use Cat5 cable.

I know I could get a crimper to do this,
but I have to do it this weekend,
and don't have access to any sophisticated electronic store.

You don't need a sophisticated electronic store for these things.