Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Amazon Heads Up

Edward Hennessey wrote:
"Ignoramus29524" wrote in
message ...
I also recently received an email from them warning me that they will
be terminating all Illinois Amazon affiliates.

I:

I affiliates in other states are not being terminated, you have to
wonder what new
Illinois' law they disagree with and, if it isn't obvious, why.

Illinois just announced they were moving to collect sales tax on internet
purchases.

In 1992, the Supreme Court ruled a state cannot do so unless the company
they are attacking has some sort of physical presence in the state (Quill v.
North Dakota). Amazon is terminating affiliates in order to disconnect from
any possible physical presence.

If Amazon allowed its affiliates to remain part of the Amazon family, Amazon
would be obliged to collect the Illinois sales tax and forward it to the
state.

In addition to the internet business, the Democrat-controlled state
legislature intends:

* To raise the state income tax by 75% for the next four years, and
* Add $1.00 / pack tax on cigarettes.