Posted to alt.home.repair

Default basement, gas furnace/water heater question.. dont have any ventilation..needto have some fresh air

On 1/7/2011 8:01 AM, wrote:
On Jan 7, 3:19 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 1/7/2011 1:22 AM, harry wrote:

On Jan 7, 3:50 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 1/6/2011 9:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

?
wrote

We don't have "furnaces" that need to bring cold air into the house.
It defeats the purpose.

No, it saves energy. You use the cold air for combustion only. You suck
it in, burn it, pass the exhaust gasses out. Meantime, you heat the heat
exchanger and only inside air is recirculated. Why would you want to
burn the air you just paid to heat?

Newer burners are made to connect to outside air. In the case of the OP,
he is going to vent into the room with the burner, a less efficient
method. It saves sucking the heated air from the rest of the house and
burning it, but is not as good a a seal system.

Some have coaxial venting where the inner pipe is the exhaust and outer
pipe is the intake. The incoming air is warmed by the exhaust and helps
efficiency. An example:

http://www.crownboiler.com/products/res_oil/free_o.asp

http://www.mendotahearth.com/mendota...e-faqs.php#q18

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Oh, finally getting into the twentieth century then? Heh Heh! I
looked at some heating systems when I was over there. They were in
new houses but with technology we abandoned fifty years ago. Took me
back to the days of my youth. A bit like American cars.

Once again, the village idiot shows his ignorance. As I'm sure most
of you who
actually live here can verify, I see new construction here
in the US that typically is using 90%+ efficiency furnaces, especially
in colder
climates. The cost difference between that and an 80% furnace just
isn't that
great and it's a key selling feature for new homes.

What exactly did you see in new construction that was technology that
the British
abandoned 50 years ago, which would be 1960?

The standard of insulation was pretty appalling too, especially for a
climate where minus 20 or 30 is usual.

Those temps are not the norms where 90% of the population of the US
lives.
Once again, the village idiot exposes his total ignorance.

High temperatures in Summer
too.
You are an extremely traditional lot over there.

You get the advanced stuff by paying more. Remember, fuel was very cheap
here at one time when energy was very expensive and heavily taxed over
in Europe. My 67 Renault had an 1108cc engine when a compact American
car of the time may have had a 5000cc engine made of heavy cast iron.
As energy becomes more expensive in The U.S., we will see more and more
high tech advanced energy efficient equipment. It's a cost benefit
thing. :-)

As if American consumers are limited to only buying American made
cars. Or that
American made cars get radically different mileage compared to similar
cars from say Japan or
Germany.

And if the British are so damned smart when it comes to building cars,
why is it that
today they have a worldwide market share that amounts to a nit?

Do you have any idea who you are responding to? You seem to be
responding to Harry from inside my post. You're almost as confusing
as my top posting friends. :-)

TDD