Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David David is offline

Default Nightmare Samsung PTV

"Chris F." wrote in message
.. .

This Samsung HCN4767W projection set is really making a nuisance
of itself. It had a blown convergence IC when I acquired it, so
I replaced them both. It ran for a few days in the shop (about
6-8 hours a day), then blew one of the same IC's again. I
replaced them again, and also replaced the convergence processor
board. Again, it seemed to work fine for a few days, but now the
bloody IC's have blown again. The supply voltage to the IC's is
a solid 25V (pos. and neg.), well within the 50V max. supply
voltage the IC's are rated for. Both IC's are properly
heatsinked, though they seem to run quite hot - I assumed this
was just normal. I've also gone through the convergence board
and power supply looking for caps up in ESR, but found none.
The replacement IC's were supposed to be OEM, but I have to
wonder just how compatible they really are. It's the only
explanation I can think of.
I'm tired of wasting time and money on this piece of junk.
Unless I can be certain any further replacement parts will
work, I'm going to scrap it and take my losses, which would be
close to $300 as of right now. I will also vow to never gamble
on a Samsung again - they're nothing but trouble.
Any advice would be appreciated

Usually these problems are due to the static centering rings on
one or more of the CRTs being misadjusted and the convergence IC
has to put out a steady DC component to correct it. If you scope
the outputs from the convergence IC and see both positive and
negative current swings into the convergence magnets, everything
is OK. If not, you need to adjust the centering magnet(s) on the
appropriate tube(s) and then re-converge the set.

David