Posted to uk.d-i-y
nnk nnk is offline

Default Coldest December for 100 years - how did it affect your energy consumption?

"Terry Fields" wrote in message

Apparently the 'average temperature' for last December was the coldest
for a hundred years, at minus 1 deg C instead of an expected plus 4
deg C.

As we are told that turning down one's central heating by 1 deg C can
save 10 percent of heating costs, then December's low must have
ratcheted up the energy bill by some fair amount, possibly 50 percent
at a first guess.

This is our first December in this house, so I have no idea what might
have been a normal figure to compare to, but the gas meter readings
for that month say we used 3600 kWh, for a four-bed detached house on
the edge of some fields.

I'd be interested in any figures people might have for their December
energy consumption, compared to the previous December.

TF

4300kWh gas 4bed + converted garage (bedroom) detached near fields (only one
garden between us) Range cooker +Heating old boiler - in all over the period
sometines 2 adults and teenager rest 2 adults 2 teenagers and 2 kids -
someone please make me feel better :-)