Posted to alt.home.repair

Default basement, gas furnace/water heater question.. dont have anyventilation..need to have some fresh air

On Jan 6, 9:39*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 22:09:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Millions of houses have been built like that, but times are a changing.
New burners are made to use fresh air intakes for combustion. *You can
buy a vent made for that purpose and either run dryer vent or PVC pipe
to the heater.

Ours is 2" PVC pipe, as per the furnace manual (when I think of dryer
vent I think of 4" stuff, which might be overkill if the furnace doesn't
need it)

Oh, our home depot has a Kidde smoke alarm + CO alarm package at $26 at
the moment - not sure if it's a national offer. The CO alarm runs from AC
with battery backup, which is nice (although it won't take a rechargeable
battery and charge it)

cheers

Jules

A furnace with a 2" PVC vent works because it has a draft inducer to
pull the air
through the pipe and vent the exhaust back out. If the OP has a
furnace that works
with a traditional chimney, that size pipe isn't going to move enough
air to amount
to anything.