Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Proper Humidifier % OOPS

On Jan 7, 8:15*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
Duke wrote in message

Got a new humidifier. *I can choose the % level I want it to make the
humidity. *Of course the higher I set it, the more water it uses. *And
it can use a lot!
Anyway what would be a good % level to set this sucker at?

Probably 60 to 70 per cent. *The ideal humidity for maintenance of
wood furniture (without cracking from dessication) is likely to differ
from the ideal level for the condition and comfort of human skin
(and that level varies with the age of the individual.)

Humidity that high in a house that's in a cold winter climate, will
result
in some very bad things happening. Most visibly, condensation around
windows. Not so visibly, condensation around things like recessed
ceiling
lights, or spots in wall cavities where a bit of insulation is
missing. Before
too long, don't be surprised to see water spots showing up in spots
like
ceiling paint near recessed lights next to an unheated attic, etc.

The poster should go to the Aprilaire company website and pull up the
manual for
one of their humidifiers. I believe the one I have can't be set over
50%. And I have
the 700, which has an external temp sensor that goes outside. As the
temp declines
it automatically LOWERS the humidity inside. When it's 15F outside,
it's down to
something like 25%, even if you have it set at 45%.