Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Mental resilience

"Ignoramus30509" wrote in message
I think that this resilience can be improved by training.

Ergo, if one can be taught that it is possible to jump through fire,
then other things also seem doable. But it has to be something beyond
just being exposed to stress, as some people break down every time
they have a stress. I think that the key is to have stress and win
over something.

Myself, I do not freak out in emergencies, ever, but some people I
know, do.

I went to commercial diver's training. My instructor was an ex-Navy SEAL.
His name was Bob Mackey. He pushed me until I found out that I had more
inside of me than I knew was there. It would serve me well in the next six
years of commercial diving, and all the thrills and spills and adventures
involved with that. And many times I called on that knowledge that I had a
lot inside when I was up against it.

And sometimes, people who would pull you out of a fire crack under the every
day stress of a relationship. It's hard to know which way anyone is going
to fly on any particular day. Or incident.

Steve