Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Anyone rebuilt a gear pump?

I'm trying to fix a worn Parker D17AA2A hydraulic gear pump for my
tractor. As bought (for $20) the max pressure was less than 200 PSI. I
found the aluminum end plate opposite the shaft worn away 0.010" by
the gears. The bronze plate on the shaft end looks pretty good(???).

I milled the end plate smooth, routed the O ring groove deeper and
shortened the gears by about 0.0007" with fine sandpaper, so the shaft
still turns by hand when I bolt the housing together. A sandpaper
donut removes close to 0.0001" when squeezed between the endplate and
the spinning gear, in the mill.

Does that sound right? This sleeve-bearing pump only needs to work
until I make and harden another involute splined broach to fit a new
steel pulley onto my other pump.

jsw