Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Moving a shed

On 1/4/2011 10:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I may finally have found a problem that I can't solve. Sigh.
A good friend of mnem asked me today about movin ga hsed If
ehe can move it about 50 feet, from the neighbors lot, he
can have the shed. Else, it will be torn down and scrapped

Shed is about 12 x 8 feet. About 8 feet tall. As I quipped,
you could move in family of 8 immigrants, and they would fit
fine. It's seriously large enough to live in, and call it a
studio apartment.

http://www.fotolode.com/images/cayoung01/shedfront.jpg
Here is the front of the shed.

http://www.fotolode.com/images/cayoung01/shedside.jpg
This is the side of the shed.

http://www.fotolode.com/images/cayou...sfrontshed.jpg
http://www.fotolode.com/images/cayou...frontshed2.jpg
These are pictures of the shed with a 250 pound Mormon
standing in front of the shed.

http://www.fotolode.com/images/cayou...estination.jpg
This shows the path the shed needs to move. Towards the
photographer.

The roof is slightly pitched, maybe 2-12. The roof is badly
rotted and can be sacrificed. The walls are flake board, and
2 x 2 studs. The floor feels like 3/4 plywood on 6 x 6
beams. Or maybe two by six, nailed together. There is vinyl
siding. I leaned against the building, and it didn't move a
bit. The floor beams and all, are on cinder blocks.

There are a couple phone poles near the destination which
might be strong enough to put a cable hoist. There may be
enough room to fit a small four by four truck. We discussed
pulling, carrying, and rolling on pipes or tubes.

I'm really not coming up with any good ideas. What do you
all suggest?

The shed I moved with ??? pounds of weight in it had the two skids under
it. The terain was not good for rolling it on pipes. I got 3 4x4's,
jacked up the shed and put them under as if rolling it on pipes.
(forgot, I GREASED the 4x4's!) Pulled the shed easy and like rolling on
tubes, kept replacing the 4x4 from one end to the other. When I was
close I had to move the van to push the shed instead of pulling it. A
couple of tires on rims between the shed and the van bumper made sure
the bumper wouldn't get scratched. I would think the two missing skids
could easily be added. Jack it up and screw them onto the floor joists.