Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default basement, gas furnace/water heater question.. dont have anyventilation..need to have some fresh air

On Jan 6, 12:50*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 6, 5:40*am, harry wrote:

On Jan 6, 5:06*am, wrote:

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 22:43:57 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"KOS" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 10:09 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?"KOS" wrote in message

Hi

I have a question.. In my basement I have my gas furnace and hot water
heater... there is one window there... I currently do not have any
fresh air access... The gas company said I should have some fresh air
coming in with louver or vent.. Question:

do I need to run tubing so it sits 12 inches from the floor? Someone
said I should.

what is the simplest way to do this air louver?

wont the room get cold?
Thanks

Millions of houses have been built like that, but times are a changing.
New
burners are made to use fresh air intakes for combustion. *You can buy a
vent made for that purpose and either run dryer vent or PVC pipe to the
heater. *The advantage is you are not taking the heated inside air and
burning the fuel and then exhausting it up the chimney. * Fresh air
enter,
combusts, and then is vented while inside air is recirculated.

Oh, use a flapper if it is not direct connected so the cold air does not
come in unless sucked it.

My unit is 15 years old... There was a problem with the vents...there
was a flapper vent connected to the furnace, but the flapper got
stuck... Furnace was not venting, was getting very very hot.. CO
detector came on..

On the intake?
I was talking about the intake but they do have motorized flappers that open
on the flue when the heat comes on. *Yes it can cause a serious problem if
it stops working.

*Last furnace I had with the power damper would not let the furnace
fire at all untill the damper was fully open. It was a Lennox IIRC,
and about 34 years ago- Hide quoted text -

Ah, you Yanks have primitive devices. *:-0- Hide quoted text -

Like the uk doesn't? *haha, try that on someone that hasn't been there
a few times.- Hide quoted text -

We don't have "furnaces" that need to bring cold air into the house.
It defeats the purpose.