Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Rain Barrel Filled with Ground Water?

On Jan 5, 6:59*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Edge wrote:
Some of the replies raised the possiblities of contamination in
reusing the ground water from the sump well. If there are any oils or
fluids from leaks in cars parked in the driveway, they will be washed
away from the foundation of the house. I suspect that most of *the
water in the sump during our dry summers was from water that
percolated down to the drain tiles from watering plants near the
house. So reusing that water to water those plants again, or the lawn,
seems okay.

However it does raise a point. How contaiminate free is rain water
that has washed off roofs. I have cedar shingles. Don't they treat
them with fire retardants? I suppose rain water might be fine for
plants or lawns, but if you have a vegetable garden use virgin water
and not rain water or ground water.

With the first rain, 95% of whatever that is ever coming off, er, comes off.
After that first rain, any amount of fire retardant or chemical preservative
that washes off will be so small as to be undetectable.

During the interval between rains, however, an amazing amount of airborne
junk will settle on the roof - mostly in the form of dust (and a few bird
droppings). Again, after the first few gallons of the next rain, subsequent
water should be almost as pure as if it had been distilled.

I am always amazed every fall when I clean the gutters. There will
always be at least a 1/4" of "mud" in the bottom of them. That all
comes out of the sky. In the olden times there was a diverter that
was used to bypass the rain barrel during the start of a rain storm to
get rid of the "dirty" water.

Harry K