Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Lexicon PCM70 legacy digital effects unit ...

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 22:22:09 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 20:53:29 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

I repaired one of these last year
http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/ps3100.php

Replaced a couple edge connectors for the gate and voice cards. Hard to
beat the sound of one of these in the right hands.

Nice. I like the old analog synths. That one is older than my oldest.

If you looked carefully at my collection, the middle one is a Korg
PolySix first produced in 1981:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/Korg_DSS-1/keyboards.jpg References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysix
http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/poly6.php It's a tempermental beast
of a keyboard, but it makes fine music. It still has some kind of a
problem with two of oscillators, which I'll fix next time I'm inspired.
There are also various web pages recommending replacements and
substitutions which should improve things. Incidentally, most of the
damage was caused by a leaky roof dripping dirty water into the keys.

Showing off, live and full of mistakes:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/music/

Nice collection Jeff. And your playing isn't that bad. My very first
synth was an Octave Cat. http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/octavecat.php

It taught me how all the filters/oscillators/envelops/ stuff interacted
but being purely monophonic it wasn't much more in my hands than a noise
maker.

I traded the Cat for a Sequential Circuits Prophet 5.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/p5.php

Damn! 5 voice polyphony! heh. Excellent string sounds. Striking actually
even for today. Alas no MIDI but hell I didn't even know what that was
back then.

Wish I would have held on to that because they are pretty rare these
days.

In the 90's I bought a new Kawai K1/II:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/kawai/kawaik1ii.php

WOW! PCM synth (albeit 8 bit) 256 samples, two extra sample cards, MIDI
I felt like a pig rolling in ****! Great today for hair band keys, nice
padded strings and horns, raw square and sawtooth powerleads. Wish I
would have held off for a year when they came out with 16 bit PCM.

5 years ago a family member gave me a Roland S10:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/s10.php

No internal sampling everything loads through floppy. The belt on the
floppy turned to rubber snot. Replaced, still wouldn't load. Tweaked
the head positions and BINGO, sound libraries loaded. Not a bad little
synth. Arpeggio, mic input to record your own samples. Have a sample of
my one niece when she was a toddler saying "I love you" too cute.

Now my quest is to own a Korg Triton rack. That is if one of my present
keyboards MIDI track well with a rack and there is not latency.

I also own a Casio MG-510 MIDI guitar:
http://www.mariarose.com/casio1.jpg

Very similar to the one in the picture but with 3 single coil pickups.
Note tracking is very good for the age of the MIDI controller. There is
some latency maybe 50ms. It's noticeable but easy to get used to.
It's also a very good sounding and playing guitar. I used it for gigs
back in the 90's. Occasionally layered guitar and MIDI together.