Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeffrey Angus Jeffrey Angus is offline

Default Bad cap outcomes

On 1/6/2011 11:00 AM, D Yuniskis wrote:
Assuming the old one is *worth* $25... :

he customer "good will" is worth the $25, and if
I get something functional in the process, that's
just a bonus.

But, the question still stands: did you *examine*
what was actually happening on the board or just
"blindly" replace all the caps and hope for the best?

You mean poke around with a scope, looking at waveforms,
measuring supply rails and such? No, not worth the time.

It's in the same category with trying to rejuvenate
SLA batteries. ;-) I did do a cursory check and if I
see just one suspect cap, they all get replaced.

99.99% of the time, that IS the problem, so I just
go with that, if the board goes up in smoke, well,
no big deal, I'm out a bit of time and material AND
it didn't do it in a customer's work place.

Jeff