Posted to sci.electronics.repair
baron baron is offline

Default Bad cap outcomes

D Yuniskis Inscribed thus:

Hi,

I'm wondering what the prevailing approach is when
it comes to dealing with kit that has been found to
have "bad cap-itis". Particularly, PC's.

Do folks exploe the current operating conditions
of the machine *before* re-cap-ping (i.e., see
what supplies are affected, what sorts of ripple
is present, etc.)? Or, do you just replace and
*functionally* retest (i.e., if you haven't
probed the circuit to get an idea for the exact
nature of the problem, probing afterwards at
that level of detail seems to be a contradiction)?

In particular, how do you know if the system has
been operating within "absolute maximum ratings"
while this fault has been present? How do you
know the system's reliability/integrity hasn't
been compromised (so your "fix" is just a
band-aid)?

E.g., I've been recommending disposing of machines
with this problem. The labor to re-cap just doesn't
make sense given the book value of machines that
exhibit these problems -- especially in light of
the fact that you can't be sure that the "repaired"
machine is really "100%" (maybe OK for a machine you
use informally at home, but would you want to *rely*
on it in a commercial environment?).

I suspect most machines are just recapped and re-used
but wanted confirmation or repudiation of that opinion.

Thanks!
--don

Its really a matter of horses for courses. Some you do and some you
don't ! I don't recall having further trouble with re-capped PC
mainboards. Having said that not all clients will come back and
complain if the machine fails soon after its been repaired. Its become
to easy to replace rather than repair nowadays !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.