Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Mental resilience

Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus30509 wrote:

Why is it, that some people are more resilient to stress and keep
acting rationally, whereas some others, at the first trouble, break
down completely, start getting hysterical, blame others instead of
being constructive, etc?

Think about people you would take with you to a recon mission, and
those you would not.

Genetics. Contrary to the feel-good ideal of "all men created equal",
the reality is that is anything but the truth.

I have to suggest that life experience (IE:how did your parents handle
this sort of "occurence" ?) and training may play as big or bigger role
than genetics . If Mom melted down because the centerpiece for her "big
dinner" wasn't quite perfect , chances are that the kids will learn the same
type of behavior . Parents who exhibit a "we can handle it" attitude are
also likely to have children who do too ...
Training can also play an important part of how we react . If your first
reaction to hearing shots is to take cover , determine source and , decide
whether to return fire - that's training . If you fall to the ground
blubbering in fear ...
My choices in recon teammates would likely have been Boy Scouts -Life or
Eagle - because they've proven they will stick with it . Other factors would
also apply , including training and having been under fire at some time . Ya
don't know what man's gonna do until he's been in that situation .
--
Snag
Learning keeps