Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EPC - diy possible?

John Rumm wrote:
On 04/01/2011 22:19, John Williamson wrote:

See the first line of my post.

All I was saying that I would not trust an EPC known to be generated by
the vendor.

Indeed, and understandable. However given the choice of paying for your
own EPC or not having one at all, which would you choose?

As it's a legal requirement when a property is sold, I don't have the
choice of having one or not. I've never bought a home with one yet,
though, so the matter didn't come up, though I did poke my head into the
loft and check for insulation amongst other things.

Given that, I'd rather have one prepared by an accredited professional
than Joe Public. The cost is factored into the house price by the agent
anyway, as was the cost of a HIP.

I would guess that energy performance as a deciding factor in which
house to buy is pretty far down the list for most buyers. Especially as
its something you can improve after purchase.

A process which the EPC can help you with, unless you do your own full
survey before purchase. It comes with notes as to how the energy
efficiency can be improved, and a guess as to the result. Knowing what's
recommended can also help the purchaser guess how much it's going to
cost to update the property and adjust their offer accordingly.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.