Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer[_2_] Tony Bryer[_2_] is offline

Default EPC - diy possible?

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 10:07:55 +0000 John Rumm wrote :
Most conveyancing solicitors insisted on doing the same for obvious
reasons. One of the many ways in which HIPs were fundamentally flawed.

Here in Victoria an estate agent is not allowed to accept an offer on a
property unless the prospective purchasers has been given what is called
a section 32 notice - effectively a HIP. I looked at one property as a
potential investment and the s32 revealed outstanding legal action
between the Owners Corporation (similar status as UK freeholder of a
flat) and the original developer; I took no further action and wasn't
out of pocket on survey or legal expenses.

I really don't buy the argument that the vendor might have fiddled the
contents - it would be bound to come out - and as to the argument that
things might have changed since the report was done, they're far more
likely to change in the years that you own the property and no one ever
worries about this.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com