Posted to alt.home.repair

Default basement, gas furnace/water heater question.. dont have any ventilation..need to have some fresh air

?
"KOS" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 10:09 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?"KOS" wrote in message

Hi

I have a question.. In my basement I have my gas furnace and hot water
heater... there is one window there... I currently do not have any
fresh air access... The gas company said I should have some fresh air
coming in with louver or vent.. Question:

do I need to run tubing so it sits 12 inches from the floor? Someone
said I should.

what is the simplest way to do this air louver?

wont the room get cold?
Thanks

Millions of houses have been built like that, but times are a changing.
New
burners are made to use fresh air intakes for combustion. You can buy a
vent made for that purpose and either run dryer vent or PVC pipe to the
heater. The advantage is you are not taking the heated inside air and
burning the fuel and then exhausting it up the chimney. Fresh air
enter,
combusts, and then is vented while inside air is recirculated.

Oh, use a flapper if it is not direct connected so the cold air does not
come in unless sucked it.

My unit is 15 years old... There was a problem with the vents...there
was a flapper vent connected to the furnace, but the flapper got
stuck... Furnace was not venting, was getting very very hot.. CO
detector came on..

On the intake?
I was talking about the intake but they do have motorized flappers that open
on the flue when the heat comes on. Yes it can cause a serious problem if
it stops working.