Posted to alt.home.repair

Default basement, gas furnace/water heater question.. dont have anyventilation..need to have some fresh air

On Jan 5, 6:12*pm, "RogerT" wrote:
One way to figure out what you need for combustion air requirements is to
look up the installation manual for the type of gas furnace you have. *The
amount of space you need depends on how many btu's the furnace has, whether
the source of air is outside air or inside air from within the building,
etc.

For example, you could look at this installation manual (or one from a
heater unit that is similar to yours):

*http://www.whirlpoolcomfort.com/Uplo...AND%20WFLU.pdf.

How big is your basement? *Often, if the heater and hot water are in a
regular size "full basement", the room size is sufficient without needing
outside air to be brought in.

"KOS" wrote in message

Hi

I have a question.. In my basement I have my gas furnace and hot water
heater... there is one window there... I currently do not have any
fresh air access... The gas company said I should have some fresh air
coming in with louver or vent.. Question:

do I need to run tubing so it sits 12 inches from the floor? Someone
said I should.

what is the simplest way to do this air louver?

wont the room get cold?
Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Run a dryer hose from outside the house to the furnace area, floor,
ceiling, or wall mount the hose. Put an always open but screened
cover over the vent on the outside to keep critters out. As long as
you have a carbon monoxide detector somewhere in the vicinity of the
furnace, everything should be fine.