Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Garrett Fulton[_2_] Garrett Fulton[_2_] is offline

Default Ted Edwards

On 2011-01-05, Wes wrote:
United around a common thread?

Sometimes it is hard to post metalworking stuff. I made a socket today
for a 90 degree
brass fitting. Nothing to brag on. Drilled the four corners so my
endmill could run into
them since I can't make a 90 degree corner. Removed metal until the
fitting fit.

I did all the calculating using a cad program. Drew me a machining print
also. Autocad
beats the heck out of Alibre for this sort of thing. Thanks Miss Youmans
for that
geometry class years ago.

Inserted fitting, use that pointy end of edge finder to set bridgeport
over center of
fitting rotation. Drilled a #7 hole down thru my piece of O-1. Tapped it
1/4-20. Well,
I tried to tap it. My tap tapped one too many holes. Use punch and
hammer to remove rest
of broken tap, pick up where it snapped with a new tap.

I though I'd use my nifty new slitting saw and arbor to cut off the excess
material
sticking up from the mill vise when I was done. Darn thing cut using
about 20 degrees of
the saw blade. I'm not versed on tweeking a slitting saw up. Hey a
discussion topic, how
do you center that saw blade?

Gave up, took my work piece over to surface grinder with a 1/32" cut off
wheel. Cut off
most of excess stock. Put back in mill upside down, mill off excess.

Debur.

Screw in 1/4-20 setscrew, attach a hex nut to portion sticking out of
back. Take a 7/16"
socket and place over nut.

The nut and setscrew thing was just a way to center the socket I'm using
for the 3/8"
square drive over center of rotation.

Clean things up really clean, wire brush, flux, heat, apply some
SafetySilv 44 silver
braze and join. Go to break, let work cool.

Take work back to lathe, radius the corners a bit for safety and
asthetics. Break all
sharp edges, hand to engineer.

For most of us that make things, this isn't all that exciting. The guys
with slotters
would have processed it differently.

Now tips on how you dial in a slitting saw, that would be a good topic for
someone to
start. Oh, I'm repeating myself.

Sounds fun. Post some pictures.

Had the same problem with a slitting saw. I'd like to know how you dial one
in also.

Garrett Fulton