Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Replacement winders, lead and the EPA

On 1/5/2011 11:41 AM, gpsman wrote:
*Got the first bid on replacement windows from a national company for
this 1939 hovel. Included is a "mandatory" per window "Lead
Renovation Fee" per "Federal Lead Containment Law".

Eh, something just don't seem right...

I Google and find:

4. Abatement does not include renovation, remodeling, landscaping or
other activities, when such activities are not designed to permanently
eliminate lead-based paint hazards, but, instead, are designed to
repair, restore, or remodel a given structure or dwelling, even though
these activities may incidentally result in a reduction or elimination
of lead-based paint hazards.
http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/traincert.htm

EPA requires that firms performing renovation, repair, and painting
projects that disturb lead-based paint in pre-1978 homes, child care
facilities and schools be certified by EPA and that they use certified
renovators who are trained by EPA-approved training providers to
follow lead-safe work practices.

Contractors must use lead-safe work practices and follow these three
simple procedures:
Contain the work area.
Minimize dust.
Clean up thoroughly.
http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm

Those don't sound like things I wouldn't expect to be "professional"
SOP.

Of note: According to the sales manager of a smaller regional company
the replacement window market is so strong it was perfectly reasonable
for their CSR to decline to bid if my wife wouldn't agree to sit down
for a sales presentation. Bidding, he said, would be "a waste of
time".

*I can install my own windows, but I'm not so inclined, yet.

Any similar experiences out there?
-----

- gpsman

Tough to say from your epa quotes.
I see there a lot of cheap lead test kits and I might buy one to see if
I have a problem.

I had several windows replaced in my pre '78 house last year and the
issue never came up. Paint was blue, which is not normally a lead based
color. Years ago most white paint contained lead which was supplanted
by titanium dioxide pigment.

I think replacement window sales last year were good because of the
government tax rebate and people were rushing to get done before the end
of the year. I suspect, give it a few months, and these guys will be
hungry for work. Right now they're probably busy installing windows
bought last year.