Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default stairwell wall bearing or not?

willshak wrote the following:
Matt wrote the following:
I'm planning to finish my basement and would like to take one side of
the stairwell wall and cut it down to a half-wall to open things up a
little. Before I do this, I just want to make sure I'm not removing
bearing elements, or if I do, replace their load bearing capacity
somehow. I've taken a few pics, linked below.

Pic A http://img834.imageshack.us/i/15923046.jpg/ is just a photo
from the basement looking up the stairs. The stairs turn left at the
landing and go up another 5 steps. The bottom half of the stairs run
parallel with the joists, which are mostly TJI's. The two TJI's i the
middle terminate at this cross-member, which is a 2x10. To the side
of the TJI's and running directly above the stairwell walls are the
two 2x10's (or 2x12's...not sure). They are a little darker in color
than the TJI's.

Pic B http://img838.imageshack.us/i/90207730.jpg/ is a look at the
stairwell from the basement. The exposed studs there are the ones I
want to cut down to make that side of the stairwell a half wall.

Pic C http://img842.imageshack.us/i/42380765.jpg/ is focused on the
2x10 that runs directly above the wall I want to remove. I am
pointing to it.

Pic D http://img547.imageshack.us/i/58100373.jpg is the junction of
the 2x10 and the cross member, showing that the cross member is hung
from those 2x10's with joist hangers. The cross member appears
thicker than a 2x10, but on second thought, it's probably just because
it is drywalled on one side.

Pic E http://img337.imageshack.us/i/52719782.jpg/ is looking down the
stairs. That rectangular piece at the top of the pic is the part I
was saying that someone really tall would bump their head on, and the
bottom 10" is formed by the cross member described above.

Pic F http://img18.imageshack.us/i/98494464.jpg/ is another shot of
the wall, showing what I want to do. I basically want to make this a
half-wall to open up the stairwell into the basement to give it a more
open feeling. I just want to make sure when I remove the top half or
so of those studs, I'm not removing bearing elements, or if I do, that
I properly replace their capacity somehow.

I will probably have a contractor come take a look, but I'd like some
thoughts from people here as well

Does that header with the joist hangers extend beyond the side walls
in your 15923046.jpg picture?
If it does then the side walls are not bearing.
In your last picture (98494464.jpg) what you are not cutting out (the
part of the side wall on the top left) will still provide a bearing
surface because of that one stud you are not cutting. I would double
up that stud just in case.
Those other joists not above the wall are not bearing anything either.

Sorry, I meant that they are free of any bearing for their span.
I would say that it is safe to cut out that portion of the stairway wall.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY