Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Water Pressure Range Question

On Jan 4, 11:18*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
This is more of a discussion starter than a real "I need an answer"
question.

If you Google around, you'll find that many sites list "normal"
residential water pressure as a range, mostly 40 - 60 PSI.

For example, this is typical:

"Water pressure in the District typically ranges from 45 - 125 psi;
however, typical residential systems are designed to function best
under a pressure of 40 - 60 psi. *If the water pressure entering your
home exceeds this level, you should install a pressure regulator in
the line to reduce the pressure to an acceptable range.

Why say reduce it to a "range"? Why not say "Adjust the PRV to reading
of 55 PSI" or "60 PSI".

Is there really no noticeable difference between 40 PSI and 60 PSI?

Hi,
You can't regulate pressure to a specific number at all times.
Our house pressure is fluctuating from 50 to 70 psi or so depending on
what is going on in and around the house. Bathing, Laundry, sprinkler,
etc. We have a afjustable pressue regulator.- Hide quoted text -

"You can't regulate pressure to a specific number at all times."

But I can regulate *static* pressure to a specific number, therefore
if a specific number were stated for the maximum recommended pressure
after the PRV, it would only go down from there when fixtures are in
use (dynamic pressure) except for the occasional rise when water
heater cycles, etc.