Andrew Gabriel

Default Victorian damp and chemical DPC failure

In article ,
"stuart noble" writes:

Andrew Collins wrote in message ...
I suspect the problem is very minor but is being made a lot worse by
the fact that a membrane has been fitted between the brick and the
plaster up to a height of 1m. This means that there is a line of damp
at 1m accross my wall.

This could be coming down rather than up.
I and others have spouted quite a lot on the "damp" subject in the past as a
Google search will reveal. I suggest you look at that first.
It's a major problem in brick built Victorian houses and there is really no
quick fix. After years of pondering my own problems, I'm coming to the
conclusion that you can't stop it getting into the wall and the best you can
hope for is to stop it reaching your interior decorations.

I've done a few things, which has stopped it, but I don't know
which was responsible.

Where wall was damp and I thought I might have rising or
penetrating damp near ground level, I have replastered with a
sand/cement/lime/waterproofer scratch coat and regular finish
coat. This has stopped the inside surface of the wall being
damp.

I have also installed central heating. There were a couple of
areas of north facing walls where damp was higher up, and I
positioned radiators in those areas of the rooms. I suspect
the damp was probably condensation, but it's not impossible
that it was penetrating damp. I just reskimmed over the
original plaster in these areas, and they have stayed dry too
since.

--
Andrew Gabriel