Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default drain plug removal (cast iron)

Jeff Thies wrote:
On 1/4/2011 8:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've never tried this. But I've heard that one answer is to
take a common candle, like from Dollar Tree. Eight for a
buck "emergency candle". Use a torch to heat up the fitting.
While the fitting is hot, drip candle wax onto it. The wax
soaks into the threads, and lubricates them. Never tried it.

Never would have thought of it. Might give it a try.

When it's watertight and corroded to boot, the chances of anything and
particularly anything as viscous as paraffin wax getting into the
threads before they're already loosened is vanishingly small...