Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Computer NG?

On 1/4/2011 11:34 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2011-01-04, Pete wrote:

I take it you don't have any experience with an enterprise class OS, if
you did you would understand the non-professional feel of Linux.
Certainly many companies are using Linux, or more specifically Red Hat
Enterprise Linux as a cost saving measure, and they didn't use Linux at
all until RHEL came along with a proper support system behind it as is
required in an enterprise environment. There were corporate directives
that Linux was not allowed to be used in any production application, and
the same with any open-source applications that did not have support
from a single corporate entity.

My Fortune 500 company was using Unix years before M$ was even
conceived. Later, one of our major divisions was used as a guinea pig
to see if switching to M$ and Windows-based Oracle was a good idea.
They even went so far as to spend $6M to have Oracle customized to fit
our needs. Whatta freakin nightmare. Just using Oracle on Windows
created 30% more work for the company's database users. When I
retired, the company had still not changed over beyond that one
division and it's huge, now world-wide, DB was still HP-UX based.

While never employed as an IT professional I've worked and trained as
one and I've seen it all. From Unix/IBM tape storage mainframes /w
dumb terminals to IBM-DOS PCs and Mac desktops in the cubes. So much
of computer choice is capricious whim bull****. Some moron mgr a has
friend he went to school with, who now pushes platform/software ABC,
so makes recommendations he has nary a clue about and may actually be
detrimental to the company. A choice of some really crap platforms,
OSs, and software has been made by people who can't even use a word
processor.

If you are a M$ enterprise professional, more power to you. Windows
definitely has a place in the enterprise landscape. I will not deny
that. I still keep an XP box around, despite my preference for all
things *nix. But, to say Linux, which is nothing more than an open
source updated version of Unix, is unproffesional, is just plain
ignorant and only shows you actually know little, if anything, about
it.

nb

I like PC-BSD now that it plays nice with Flash. It's almost impossible
to crash, I was only able to crash it on a system with a small amount of
memory. :-)

http://www.pcbsd.org/

TDD