Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Computer NG?

Vic Smith wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:19:24 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is one trap I've never fallen into.
Every upgrade I've done has had a specific requirement driving it, be it
a new application I need to run that requires a newer version, or
needing to have a system at a particular version to aid in remote
support of my mother with that version.

Same here. I've managed to skip 386, 486, PI, PIII, and all the
sockets after my previous 478 until the 1366 I run now.
One time due to a blown motherboard, all the others because I hit a
graphics wall. I'm a gamer.
The typical office apps were all performing fine when I moved to a new
box.
Not to say there aren't other reasons than graphics for upgrading.
That's just what happened to me.
I find Win7 better than XP in terms of app crashes.
Using it a year now and not nearly as many crashes and not a single
BSOD. Never did any benchmarking, and I notice no speed issues.
I waited until I felt the drivers issue was over with..
That's basically why I never tried the Linux stuff - drivers and
games.
I don't like fooling around too much with software anymore.
But it's neat that others are doing it. I had my fun.

--Vic

It's been so long since I've seen a BSOD that I barely recall what one
looks like, and the last time I saw one wasn't on one of my machines. I
seem to recall it was due to a hardware failure, something no OS is
immune to, and few OSes are sufficiently fault tolerant to handle.

No gaming here, but I do CAD (TurboCAD), CAM (SheetCAM) and CNC
machining (Mach3) on my Windows systems with no issues, along with the
usual office apps.