Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Computer NG?

notbob wrote:

On 2011-01-04, Pete C. wrote:

This is not to say that Linux doesn't work properly, it's a sloppy feel
compared to high end OSes developed by consistent highly organized and
disciplined teams.

Not hard to get that kinda discipline when charging $3-5K per seat.

Still not sure what you mean by "feel", which strikes me as rather
subjective. I learned on Unix and now use Linux. Feels pretty much
the same, to me. If I was going to judge anything as unprofessional ,
it would be the newer Windows-like Linux distros like Ubuntu, which I
dislike immensely. Linux is NOT Windows and if I wanted a
Windows-like OS, I'd use Windows! I use Slackware, which is
considered by many to be the most Unix-like. I prefer the command
line to GUIs and have learned to read the man pages of the underlying
software which, for the most part, originated on or was forked from
Unix.

You've got to admit, Google is no small potatoes. I'd go so far as to
guess it's the biggest single enterprise system in the World. All
those huge server farms the World round are all Linux based and I
doubt there's a desktop environmont on any of them. If you still
perceive such a network as unprofessional, might I suggest you update
your feelers.

nb

Who said anything about a desktop environment? All the "real" OSes I
deal with are CLI. CLI to CLI, and documentation to documentation, Linux
has a non-professional feel vs. the other OSes I deal with. This would
seem to be changing with RHEL, but it's not to the clean, consistent and
disciplined feel of the other OSes yet.