Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2 Part Electrical question...

On Jan 4, 12:34*pm, Hell Toupee wrote:
On 1/4/2011 6:54 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

The typical computer is just a hundred watts or so.

No way, unless it's ancient, or a laptop. Times two (two computers).
Plus you've got all the peripherals to power, too. You know - two
monitors, at least one printer, modem/router, sound system, and
whatever else the OP may be using.

My brother and I were looking at an eight-thousand dollar custom built
gaming rig. That sucker pulled a lot of watts, mainly due to the dual
high-end graphics cards and sound system. I told him for that price,
they should throw in weekly pizza and stripper deliveries for the
first year.

He's using them for business. Not high end gaming. Most mid range
computers have a power supply that max's out at 2 or 3 hundred watts.
They seldom get close to that in actual usage. Often less than a 100
watts. Lcd monitors use way less power than the old crt's did. Some
under 50 watts. You'd share one printer between the two computers and
it would probably be asleep 99% of the time. Add a few wall warts for
routers, etc.