Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Help with a dust collector

On 1/1/2011 3:27 PM, Artemus wrote:
"Jack wrote in message
http://jbstein.com/Flick/dc1020458.jpg

I added this to my pre-separator http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm
and it made a big difference in how much stuff stays in the bottom of the
can.

Yes, thats pretty much the same as mine, except my ports are on the
side, and I have multiple ports for multiple tools.

I suspect it's the reduced turbulence downstairs that keeps the
planer and jointer chips from going out to the filters.

I think going from a small pipe to a large drum lets the air expand
rapidly with reduced velocity, allowing the heavy stuff to fall down.
The lighter stuff spins around and falls down because of the angled
inlet. The very, very light dust particles will get sucked up to the fan
and filter. I've never gotten anything in my filter other than powder
about the consistency of flour. My collector has a metal filter that
you simply take outside and wash out a couple times a year (in my case)

--
Jack
I cut it twice and it's still too short...